Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wammy


When I was small I had a very best friend. She was the very best kind of best friend, with an infectious laugh, an old house filled with secret passageways and a tire swing and she lived right around the corner from me. We played countless games of tag, sardines, ghost in the graveyard and hide and seek, and when things got dull, we'd find new ways to torture her baby brother, like telling him the potato chips tinged with green gave you magical powers. When it was finally time to say goodbye we'd take turns walking each other home until one of our mothers hollered, and even then we'd walk to the midpoint together, part and slowly head back home alone. Back in those days, Chrissy and I were so close. And Chrissy's most beloved stuffed animal was a lamb named Wammy. So while I ate beef and pork and veal and lobster and crabs and liverwurst and calamari and all sorts of other things that many children would refuse, I absolutely, positively, under no conditions would try lamb. I couldn't. "But....but...Wammy!" I'd cry, and my patient and somewhat indulgent mother would sigh and let it drop.

I'm not sure exactly when I relaxed my ban on Wammy's relatives, but now only a very small part of me winces when I enjoy a delicious piece of lamb. Tonight my mother made this super easy recipe, and provided that you have no interfering attachments to the loveys of your childhood friends, you'll very much enjoy it.

DON'T WORRY, IT'S NOT WAMMY

INGREDIENTS:
2 pieces boneless lamb loin
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 T fresh or 1-2 t dried rosemary
1 t olive oil for the loin plus 2 t for the pan
kosher salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Mince the garlic and add 1/2 t kosher salt and mash together to make a sort of paste. Rubbing the lamb with the oil and add 1/2 t kosher salt plus as much pepper as you like. Then rub in the garlic mixture and pat on the rosemary. In a large cast iron pan add the 2 t olive oil and turn the heat to medium high. When the pan is hot, add the lamb loins and cook for 4 minutes per side for rare and 5-6 for medium.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails