Sunday, February 7, 2010

Indoor Barbecue Chicken


For those on the East Coast, the weather isn't exactly conducive to outdoor food prep. That is if you can even tell which of the snow drifts in your yard might be hiding a grill. So we cooked up a little barbecue chicken in the oven. It can't compare to the years when I've done a real spread, including three types of chicken wings, but it will do for our little ultra-exclusive, two person Superbowl party. At the last minute I decided I needed to make the sauce from scratch, which it turned out could be done without so much as a trip to the store (ha!). The good news is the sauce is delicious, the bad news, that the chicken wasn't super impressive. It was juicy, but it didn't have enough saucy goodness. It was yummy, but I'd hunt up another recipe next time. Luckily, I have a jar of tasty homemade sauce in the fridge, so there has to be a next time.

P.S. The broccoli was NOT my idea.

OVEN BARBECUE CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
Sauce from Ina Garten (who else?)
3/4 C minced yellow onion (1/2 large onion)
1 large clove minced garlic
1/4 C (or less) vegetable oil
6 oz tomato paste (one small can)
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 C honey
1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
1 C Dijon mustard (I didn't have enough Dijon, so I went half Dijon have Guldens)
1/4 C soy sauce
1/2 C hoisin sauce
1 T chili powder
1/2 T ground cumin
1 t crushed red pepper flakes

gluten-free note: In all prepared sauces, please find a gluten-free brand, Lee and Perrin's Worcestershire, Maille mustard, Premier Japan hoisin...

DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE:
Put the oil, the garlic and the onion in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent. Watch very carefully, I had a hard time getting the heat low enough here. Then add all the other ingredients, mix well and let simmer uncovered on low for 30 minutes. For me, this meant little splatters of sauce all over anything anywhere near my stove. I was not pleased, but then I tasted it, and felt slightly better about the continuous wiping up. It's sweet, tart and has a nice spicy finish. Also, Ina claims it will last for months in the fridge. Whoo hoo!
INGREDIENTS:
2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
1 T butter
salt and pepper
1 t veggie oil
1/2 C to 3/4 C barbecue sauce - use recipe above, your own recipe, or the stuff you buy at the store.

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425F.
Rub the butter under the skin of the chicken, baste the skin with the veggie oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts skin side up on a cooking rack in a roasting pan. Cook for 15 minutes. Add 1/2 C of water to the pan and baste the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Let cook for 20-30 more minutes until the juices run clear.

1 comment:

JMLC said...

mmm, looks yummy. I'm always looking for a good bbq sauce- maybe I'll try this one in a few months.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails