Saturday, February 6, 2010

Maureen's Applesauce Muffins


Before this morning, it had been over four years since I'd had the deliciousness that is an applesauce muffin. Maureen's son Sean had brought a batch to a Thanksgiving party, and presented them to me saying "My mom thinks you'll really like her muffins." Oh, did I. I asked Maureen for the recipe, which she promised to pass along. And I was thrilled. I couldn't wait to bake myself up a batch. But the recipe never materialized. Maureen got a job where I work and I saw her every day, but still, no muffin recipe. Then Maureen got a new job. I was concerned. It had been over two years and I was still trying to get the damn muffin recipe. How was this going to work if I lost track of her? She promised to get me the recipe. I didn't see her on her last day and was pretty forlorn. I liked Maureen, and I liked her muffins. But there in my mailbox, just waiting to cheer me up, was the recipe. I was ecstatic! Muffins for me! And I promptly lost the recipe. But a crazy fit of cleaning last weekend unearthed it. And this morning, finally, after four long years, more muffins. Thankfully, they live up to my memory, sweet, comforting, perfect.

MAUREEN'S APPLESAUCE MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:
1 egg
1/2 C oil
3/4 C sugar
1 C applesauce
1/2 T vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/8 t baking powder
1/2 C nuts or raisins (I've never made them or had them with either, but you may be more daring)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat your oven to 400 F.
Beat the egg. Add the ingredients in the order given (mixing as you go). Pour into a greased and floured (or cooking spray-ed) muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine were definitely done on the shorter end). Makes one dozen muffins.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails