Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eggy Eviction



 Another fridge-forage-to-fantastic dinner is the frittata (or the tortilla, omelet, quiche, whatever your egg based pleasure.)  The one I made here was a minimal effort / maximum forgiveness model.  I started by rooting around for bits of things that needed to be used.  I came up with a corner of onion and some asparagus.
  
 There was also a very small chunk of pepper jack that didn't make the cut when I was making the odd lots macaroni and cheese.  I grabbed the cheddar while I was in there, because who doesn't like cheese? (That is not a sincere question.  I am sure there are cheese loathers out there, I just don't particularly want to associate with them.  So don't answer unless you have an interesting reasons for wanting to make me carry a grudge against someone. Then you can answer.)

And of course, I had an open package of bacon beckoning.  I don't think bacon knows how to do anything besides beckon.  It certainly doesn't retire to a corner of the fridge demurely waiting its turn.
Finally I collected some kitchen staples (eggs, potatoes, tomatoes) and got down to business.

INGREDIENTS:
Seriously, be free with the ingredients.
1 baking potato
6 eggs
1/2 C grated cheese
stuff to stick in it
I used, asparagus, onion, cherry tomatoes and bacon.  I've made it with crumbled sausage before, too which is super yummy.  Mushrooms are also tasty. 
olive oil
salt and pepper.

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium high pan, cook off any meat products.  Cook them thoroughly until done, set aside and then pour off any excess fat.  Then add your onion or garlic product. If you're using mushrooms or another veggie which can be sauteed in a pan, feel free to add it now too.  Use a smidge of oil and cook until the onions are translucent and whatever veggies you're using are mostly done.  (I roasted the tomatoes and asparagus in a toaster oven at 350 for about 20-25 minutes). 

Peel and slice a large baking potato.  I use a mandolin because I hate trying to make uniform slices.  Cover the bottom of the pan with potato slices as though you are making a pommes anna.  I layered this over the onion, but if you have a lot of chunky veggies you can pour all of it off into a bowl for now and then set down the potatoes.



Sprinkle the top of your potatoes liberally with salt and pepper.  Cover the pan and let cook for 12 minutes.  If your pan is too hot, turn it down, you do not want hard potatoes and if you put this over your onions, you don't want burnt onions.  While the potatoes are cooking, whisk your eggs together in a large bowl.  Right when the potatoes are finished, toss your veggies in with your eggs.  Then pour all of it over the potatoes.  Use a spatula to sort of mush it around so there's even coverage.  Then sprinkle on your meat.
Add the grated cheese evenly over the top and cover again.  Cook for 10 more minutes or until the eggs are set. Enjoy your delicious easy dinner and clean fridge!

1 comment:

jmlc said...

I think I left A. in charge of dinner one night when you were visiting and we ended up with something like this because he suckered you into cooking. I'm so glad because it's yummier than anything he would have made (including reservations!).

Love the step-by-step photos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails