Friday, November 9, 2007

Better Biscuits


When I was 12 or 13, most normal girls my age were experimenting with crimping irons and doing their best to deplete the ozone layer by shellacking their bangs as high as they could. I was dreaming of being Scarlett O'Hara. And since a 17" waist and a Georgian plantation were out of the question, I was left to try to reclaim my southern heritage by baking biscuits. I stood in the kitchen, meticulously cutting the butter into the flour mixture using two knives, oh yes, I shunned the high-tech world of the mixer back then. And even though they were the first thing I'd ever baked completely unsupervised, those biscuits turned out wonderfully, and I continued to make them using the same recipe, until about a month ago. Now 18 years is a long time to be faithful to a recipe, so you have to understand just how incredible this new recipe is. Because I have thrown over those biscuits of my youth and I am not looking back. And if you have a problem with that, well, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.



BETTER BISCUITS
original recipe found on Epicurious - Cheddar Dill Biscuits modified to be plain biscuits:
INGREDIENTS:
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
5 T cold butter
3/4 c plain yogurt (yes, I use low fat or non-fat)
1/3 c milk
DIRECTIONS:
Mix dry ingredients together well. Blend in butter until it has a pebble-y consistency. In a separate bowl whisk the yogurt and milk. Then add the yogurt milk mixture to the rest and mix until the dough just holds together. Spoon heaps of dough onto a baking sheet - the recipe says it make 12, I usually get 14-15. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.

Incidentally, I've made this both with too much (1 Cup) and too little (2/3 C) yogurt. And both times it's still been wonderful. How's that for forgiving?

3 comments:

mom said...

Frankly, my dear, I cannot believe you have abandoned the original recipe (circa 1945)! But, since I trust you implicitly, I am going to go with this one. Plus, I love the idea of using yogurt and, more than that, I love the idea of biscuits one does not have to knead or cut!!

mom said...

P.S. That was from your grandmother's cookbook, lest anyone think I am that OLD!

mom said...

WOW! I just made these for dinner and I will answer my own comment. They are fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails