Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolution

Today at work there was a discussion about how resolutions should be carefully chosen.  About how they should be achievable, manageable, not overwhelming.  So basically I shouldn't resolve to post here 5 days a week or anything, because I won't be able to do it, and then I will feel like a failure, but also resentful of this blog and my obligation to it.  Besides, what would I really achieve by posting more?  Would I build a bigger audience?  Maybe, but that's probably not the best way to build a bigger audience.  Would I have a better record of things I make that are delicious? Possibly, but to be honest, even the ones that aren't posted here that I love I can locate or recreate.

So I thought about cooking and me and what I really want.  And then I thought about what I could actually, honestly manage.  And this is what I decided.  I have a gorgeous, well-stocked cookbook collection.  I have must-have classics like Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking and Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, 50th Anniversary Edition.  I have books whose pages stick together from such frequent use, my Barefoot Contessa Family Style is well-loved. I have recipe books from my mother and my dearest friend, StellaCarolyn who have recorded recipes they've used and loved. But I also have a fleet of cookbooks, carefully marked with post-its, full of recipes I want to try, but never actually get around to.

My excuses are many (and probably familiar)...

I don't have time.
If I cook something from a book I can't blog it here, it's stolen!
What if it doesn't taste good?
I don't have any (insert name of ingredient)in the house.

But my resolution is to get past all of that, and actually use my beautiful cookbook collection. Hopefully I'll uncover some winning recipes. Maybe I'll be able to guiltlessly remove a few after proving them to be failures.

Here's how I'm going to do it.

1.  I don't have time during the week for new recipes, but the weekend is different. I have more time, and a husband who is home.  Saturday or Sunday will have to be it.

2. I'm going to review how the recipe turned out.  You'll get my honest opinion, a link to the cookbook on Amazon should you feel tempted to keep it and love it yourself (and yes, if you click through and buy it from here I will receive PENNIES, yes PENNIES from your purchase).

3. Eh, if it doesn't taste good and it's a weekend?  Well, that's what take out is for.

4. We almost always go grocery shopping at least once on the weekend.  Perfect time to buy anything I might need for my experiment.

Are you making any kitchen/cooking resolutions?  Do tell!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I adore this resolution. Can't wait to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails