Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Artichoke Olive Pesto

Among my husband's list of food rules is an absolute hard and fast ban on basil.  When we met, he explained that he just didn't like it.  After years together, I realized that it must be some type of food allergy.  If he has any, even by accident, he becomes extremely nauseated, something I witnessed first hand on our honeymoon. Nothing says romance than the person across from you turning vaguely green while you beg the waiter to tell you what was in the appetizer.  

Most of the time, I'm okay with the basil-free life I've chosen.  It's taken years, but I no longer eye the jar longingly when I'm making a sauce.  I can revel in a juicy summer heirloom tomato without its fresh flavor topping off the silky mozzarella.  Most of the time, I can.  But sometimes, I just need to indulge in my pesto fix.  In Boston, this meant ordering a heavenly pesto pizza from Upper Crust.  Especially the kind with Artichokes on it.  So good.  In Philly, it meant picking up a small container of Artichoke Salsa from Metropolitan Bakery.  Out here in the burbs I have yet to identify a basil dealer.  Instead, I've adapted the Artichoke Salsa recipe to remove the basil.  Because if I can't have the real deal, I might as well pretend.

ARTICHOKE AND OLIVE PESTO
(adapted from The Metropolitan Bakery Cookbook)
Although I served it with tortellini, it's really much better as a spread for a cracker or pita chip.  Yum.

INGREDIENTS:
6 oz artichokes (I used frozen ones that I defrosted in the microwave)
1/4 C collasquillo olives
1/4 C kalamata olives (so basically, 1/2 C of olives of your choosing, have fun at the olive bar!)
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C grated parmiggiano reggiano cheese
juice from 1/2 lemon
black pepper to taste
salt??? - with the olives I chose, there was no need for salt whatsoever, you may feel differently

DIRECTIONS:
Toss everything in a blender or food processor and give it a few whirs until blended nicely!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails