Monday, July 11, 2011

Beat the Heat - Tortellini Salad

Right now I feel like a spoiled brat. I just got back from a week on Cape Cod. Do you know how beautiful it is on Cape Cod? How there's almost always this lovely sea breeze even when you're not actually at the beach. I wore pants. I wore a dress with three-quarter length sleeves. I brought a sweater out with me at night. I am currently a sticky melting mass of ick. Being a complete and total wimp, I succumbed and turned on the air-conditioning. I can't help it. This is not the Cape, and there is no cool breeze wafting in off the porch. There's only sun beating mercilessly down through my windows. I've closed the blinds. The dog has slunk off to a dark corner of the kitchen where he can stretch out on the cool tile. We are going to do as little as possible today. On the upside, this dinner is so easy it almost makes itself.

TORTELLINI SALAD
INGREDIENTS:
for salad:
1/2 lb tortellini, although I made that amount up, I have no idea how much I really used because I do not have a scale and I do have a family jumbo club pack of tortellini. I eyeballed it. Whatever it was it was enough for two people.
2 C broccoli
1/2 - 3/4 C julienned carrots
1/2 C quartered grape tomatoes
1 T finely chopped red onion
1 C rinsed drained small white beans
asiago cheese
for dressing:
2 T plain yogurt
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 T plus 1 t olive oil
1 T honey

DIRECTIONS:
Put on the water for the tortellini, use a medium to large pot, and salt the water. When it boils, add the tortellini and cook for 2-3 minutes, whatever the package says. Steam your broccoli, I did mine in the top part of a double boiler. I added the broccoli once the water boiled and then steamed them for 2 minutes. I removed from heat and then ran under cold water to stop the cooking. I threw the carrots in with the tortellini for the last minute of cooking because I didn't want them super crunchy, but that's up to you. When the tortellini and carrots are done, drain thoroughly and put in a big serving bowl. Add the broccoli, the white beans, the red onion and the grape tomatoes. In a separate bowl whisk together the dressing, then pour it over the pasta salad. Then grate some asiago over the top of it all. Serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails