Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Christmas in June


One of my absolute favorite Christmas movies is the hard to find Remember the Night. It's rarely shown due to the lack of a pure Hollywood ending and the embarrassing presence of a butler character, Rufus, that by today's standards is pretty offensive.

But still, how can I resist Barbara Stanwyck playing a bad girl to Fred MacMurray's wholesome Indiana farm boy who made good as a big city lawyer? So every single year (I'm not using hyberbole, I'm sorry to say) on Christmas Eve I make my family watch this movie with me.

The movie has two major food moments, one involving sandwiches made by the aforementioned Rufus and the other where Barbara Stanwyck learns to make popovers. I cannot tell you the cravings induced by watching, year after year, as she pops them out of the pan and onto a plate.

At some point, I insisted on getting a popover pan of my own. It's not Christmas, and I'm not trying to win a man's heart by way of his stomach, but I am well prepared should either occaision arise.


popovers shown with baked eggs


POPOVERS
(ingredients courtesy of Epicurious)

INGREDIENTS:
2 large eggs
3/4 C milk
1/4 C water
1 T unsalted butter, melted
1 C minus 2 T flour
1/2 t salt

DIRECTIONS:
Put your EMPTY popover pan in your oven. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (with the pan in it). Mix together the flour and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and water. Melt the butter and allow to cool slightly. Add to the liquid ingredients while whisking. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. There will be small lumps, this is okay. Take the HOT pan out of the oven and butter the the pan. I do this by unwrapping a stick of butter, holding it by the wrapper at one end and just wiping inside each popover holder place. After buttering, divide the mixture evenly between the six popover wells. Return to oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and poke a sharp knife once in each popover's center. They will deflate slightly and some steam with escape. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes. They will reinflate and have a nice crust. You should be able to turn them out of the pan easily with a knife when they're done. Popovers are a bit like a souffle in that they will deflate if you open and close that oven door, so NO peeking.

4 comments:

JMLC said...

Oh, these were just so yummy! I'm glad I could be there to share them. P.S. I'm going to make them on Thursday for A. as a "hooray, it's vacation breakfast". He's excited.

JMLC said...

Made this breakfast today for a happy vacation breakfast and it was a hit. As I have no popover pan they weren't as pretty as yours but just as delicious. :-)

mom said...

Believe me, it is EVERY single year. Good thing we love the movie (and you!) Actually, it is totally in keeping with your collecting of traditions - a noble and appropriate task. Check out The Heart of a Family by Meg Cox.

Ruthe said...

Carrie,
I just saw this post. I HAVE that movie!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails