Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lemony Broccoli and Chickpea Pasta


This should have been it. The one. The post that started it all, where I explained to you why I, neither chef nor writer, decided that I would write a food blog. Because this recipe is really where it all began. Someone introduced me to Words to Eat By. Previously, my internet food experience had been limited to FoodNetwork.com and Epicurious. This was something entirely new. Lemony Broccoli and Chickpea Pasta is the first recipe of hers I tried, and it is delicious. And if the weather where you live is anything like the weather where I live, you probably need this right about now - quick, ovenless, light and fresh.

LEMONY BROCCOLI AND CHICKPEA PASTA
from Words to Eat By

My recipe is almost identical to the original, with the exception that I've added the tomatoes officially.
You'll notice that my amounts are smaller, since I'm cooking for 2.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 lb penne, rigatoni or similar pasta
1 C cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic minced
1 large head of broccoli cut into florets
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
juice of one lemon (about 1/3 C) - note I like things lemony, so I didn't reduce this
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 C grated Parmesan

DIRECTIONS:
Start a large pot of water to boil and add a sprinkling of salt. While waiting for it to boil, put the chickpeas, lemon juice and 1/4 C of the olive oil in a bowl and toss. Add salt and pepper and set aside. When it boils add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes. Remove and rinse with cool water and set aside. Then add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions. In a large pan, add the remaining olive oil, the garlic, the red pepper flakes and the tomatoes. Cook on low heat for 3 minutes taking care to make sure the garlic does not burn. Then add the broccoli and cook for 4 more minutes. Then add the chickpea mixture and cook for one more minute. When you drain the pasta, reserve about a 1/4 C (or 1/8 C) of the pasta water and add to the broccoli, tomato and chickpeas. Add the pasta and toss gently. Off heat, add the Parmesan and mix again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails