Saturday, March 1, 2008

Portobellos Stuffed with Sausage

I went through a phase about two summers ago when I became inordinately fond of stuffing portobello mushrooms. I just couldn't help myself. Turn one of those babies over, and it's just like a little dish. How can you NOT want to stuff it? And then, flightly creature that I am, I moved on. I honestly hadn't made this in over a year, but last week I found myself bringing back the stuff.

It's a better dish when tomatoes are in season, but plenty hearty to stand up to the chill of winter.


PORTBELLOS STUFFED WITH SAUSAGE AND TOMATO

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Portabello Mushroom Caps (I got pretty big ones, maybe 2" diameter?)
1 cup chopped tomatoes (I used cherries because that's what's we can get that tastes good)
2 links turkey sausage (hot italian) - check labeling to ensure gf
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (grate your own or check labels, some pre-shredded cheese contains gluten)
parmiggiano regiano
salt and pepper
thyme

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together first three ingredients, along with salt and pepper, and marinate mushroom caps while preparing the rest of the dinner. Chop tomatoes, shred mozzarella, grate some parm. Slice through sausage casing and put sausage insides in a pan, cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Turn off the heat and toss in chopped tomatoes and a bit of thyme (or whatever herb appeals to you).

In a cast-iron or on a grill, cook the mushroom caps turning over from time to time. About 4-6 minutes on each side.

If using a cast iron - transfer mushrooms cap side down to tin foil and add tomato/sausage mixture. Top with mozzarella and parm. Put under the broiler (I use the toaster oven) for 1-3 minutes.

If using a grill/grill pan - put mushrooms cap side down and add tomato/sausage mixture. Top with cheeses and either close grill lid, or cover with a tent of foil for 1-3 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread to absorb the yummy juices.

1 comment:

mom said...

I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair. So did Dad. As funny as the "dog eating air" video, which also had us hysterical.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails