This might be the most asked about dish I cook. Whenever I take the leftovers for lunch, my coworkers are peering at my food and begging for the recipe. This was one of the first thing I made when I decided we needed to be eating more vegetarian meals, and I was really uncertain about it that first night. I hadn't grown up eating a lot of beans, and had no solid idea of how I would like black beans. Turns out, I love beans and I love this recipe. Plus, it's easy to cook. My friend M was kind enough to share the recipe with me, and to allow me to share it with you.
M'S SWEET POTATO AND BLACK BEAN CHILI
2 T olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 jalapeno minced (optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (optional)
1 C frozen corn
1 tsp salt
2 15oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped scallion, sour cream
1. In a large pan with a lid, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until soft.
2. Add the sweet potato, cover, and cook on low for 3 minutes.
3. Add the jalapeno, coriander, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Stir and flip the potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 3 more minutes.
4. Add the frozen corn and black beans. Stir, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure it's not sticking.
5. Eat a potato to see if they are soft. If not, add a splash of water, cover, and continue cooking until they are.